Sunday, August 11, 2013

May Festivities

Following our 5 year anniversary we celebrated Cinco de Mayo!  Okay, well I guess there wasn't much celebrating, maybe a taco or two, but Lola was sporting her festive party dress.

Introducing Senorita Lolita.

Colt was busy doing other things in May, like insisting that he learn how to fold towels. 

He is actually pretty good at it.

Our sweet Lola Mae swung her way through the month of May. 

And they swam too.

I gave Lola a pot and a spoon while I was trying to make dinner, remembering how much Colt loved to play with the pots and pans.  Naturally the spoon went straight into her mouth.  I guess it served the purpose of keeping her occupied though?!?

My big boy Colt went to his first day of Preschool.  Well it was actually only an observation day, but nonetheless he went to school for the first time!

 I mean really though, he was so excited, can you tell?

 And just like that he was off.  I dropped him off for 1 1/2 hours.  I barely made it off of the campus before completely breaking down in tears!  So many emotions were going through my mind: he is growing up so fast, I hope they are nice to him, I hope he feels comfortable, I hope he is safe, and so on and so forth.  I kept muttering, "be still my heart" over and over in my head. 

**A funny mommy story**
The teacher called me on Monday to let me know that Colt's observation day was going to be that Thursday.  Before I hung up the phone I asked her if there was anything that I needed to bring for him.  She listed off a few nonchalant things like a backpack, and a lunch pale and a small snack.  Wait what?!?  He doesn't have a backpack, or a lunch pale, and what exactly is a "small" snack?  So off I went to the store and bought him a Spiderman backpack and I opted for a brown bag for the "small snack" rather than a lunch pale, since it wasn't a full lunch.  I brainstormed and brainstormed what a good "small snack" would be.  I didn't want to put junk in there, didn't want it to be over-the-top healthy, or too big of a snack, or too adult of a snack, so many thoughts were going through my mind.  Every chance I got I was asking my friends how much they considered a "small snack" to be, and what items they would put in as well.  I talked with my mom and mother-in-law, and was completely fretting about it. 

Aha!  I finally decided on the perfect snack!  A baggy of grapes, a baggy of gold fish and a mini water bottle to wash it all down.  Voila!  Just the right amount of healthy:kid friendly ratio, brilliant. 

Wrong.  Wrong.  Wrong.

His teacher had him run to his backpack and pull out his snack as soon as he got there and the first thing she says is, "There are 3 things we like to shy away from for their lunches: marshmallows, hotdogs, and grapes."  Wait, what?  Grapes?!?  I just wanted to throw my hands in the air and laugh.  If she only knew how much thought and agonizing was done over this dang "small snack"!!!!  She said those 3 are the most commonly choked on foods.  So if I do happen to put grapes in his lunch, just to cut them in half lengthwise.  She told me that she would do it for him that day.  Awesome, epic fail.  Well, hey at least I know now, before the school year starts.  And yes, I did keep my composure and tried as hard as I could to keep that smile on my face, regardless of my snack debacle and mommy emotions waiting for their moment to strike and completely overtake my body with hysterical sobs.  My baby is growing up!!!


Then he got home and we cuddled on the floor, played and everything was back to normal.

Colt has a new infatuation with fire hydrants.  He wants to take a picture in front of every single one he sees.  This makes for very long walks around the neighborhood.

Sometimes Colt likes to pee in public.  He hasn't tried doing it on a fire hydrant yet, but did do it in the Nordstrom Rack parking lot.

Luna's ears started to stand up.
And were completely up by the next day!
Colt zoomed down the slide so....
Luna tried to join in on the fun!
Colt and Luna wear each other out.
Lola crawls around the backyard, not wanting to miss a minute of the fun.
And we take pictures of all of her adorableness.

Colt was being a good big brother and pushing Lola around Grandma and Grandpas backyard.

Lola took a bath in the big tub with brother for the first time!
She always has something in her mouth.
Colt wanted to get in on the action too.

Lola is just a happy little thing.
Here is an action shot of her crawling.  She does a bear crawl on her feet, not knees.

I think I covered all of May!  Phew, that was a lot of info!  The kiddos are growing up fast, are healthy and life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment